Under Eye Dark Circle Rx
Dark circles under or around the eyes is caused by many factors. The following are the most common causes of dark circles.
- Nutrient deficiency – Anaemia ( Folic acid, B12, Niacin, Fe etc)
- Fatigue, lack of sleep
- Pregnancy & hormonal changes
- Faulty life style, excessive smoking or alcohol consumption
- Medical problems such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, allergic diathesis
THESE FACTORS MAY LEAD TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Exsesive pigmentation
- Thin, translucent lower eyelid skin
- Shadowing due to skin laxity and tear trough
- Prominent vasculature below the lower lid
MODALITIES OF TREATMENT:
- Treatment of underlying cause- antoxidants, anemia management, etc.
- Topical agents: hyproquinone, retinoic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid, Vit. C etc.
- Home care- regular moisturizers, sunscreen, application of lightening creams.
- Clinical treatments such as:
1. Microcurrent – Using tiny microcurrents, the skin around the eyes is toned up and hydrated. There is increase in blood circulation, which drains the stagnant blood and thereby causing a reduction in puffiness.
2. Glycolic Peels – Acts on the superficial pigmentation around the eyes by exfoliation, which lifts away dead skin cells, thus fading away the uneven pigmentation, It penetrates deeper and caues a rearrangement of the pigment, thus lightening the skin.
3. Combination Peels – Glycolic & lactic, arginine, Vit. C serums.
5. Iontophoresis – By using galvanic & lighteneing agents like hydroquinone, kojic acid, mositurizing agents like aloe vera, vit. C if natural substances like liquorice etc.
6. Needle free Mesotherapy- helps to penetrate vitamins and serums to lighten and brighten the under eye skin.
7. Vitamin C mask to rejuvenate the under eye skin.
Mild to moderate dark circles often respond well to simple and inexpensive treatments, such as:
- Cold. Try a cold compress or try a cooled, used teabag.
- Extra pillows. Elevate your head with two or more pillows to prevent puffiness that develops when fluid pools in your lower eyelids.
- Extra sleep. Although short nights don’t usually cause under-eye circles, a lack of sleep makes you paler and more hollow-eyed, so shadows and circles you already have are made more obvious.
- Dark glasses and sunscreen. Sun tan can make circles worse.
- Camouflage. The right concealer can do just that — hide dark circles. If the circles under your eyes are bluish, use a peach-colored concealer, not one that’s white or gray. And avoid scented products and those containing salicylic or glycolic acid, which can irritate delicate eye tissue, making redness and swelling worse.
HOME REMEDIES DARK CIRCLES TIPS:
One of the best natural cures for dark circles under the eyes involves using cucumber slices or cucumber eye pads.
OTHER HOME REMEDIES FOR DARK CIRCLES SURROUNDING, OR UNDER THE EYES INCLUDE:
- 1. Drink at least ten glasses of water everyday.
- 2. Yoga can also help you to get rid of dark circles. Do pranayam for at least 5 minutes everyday.
- 3. Massage dark circles with moisturizer for 15 minutes before going to bed at least.
- 4. Dip cotton balls in rose water or chilled water and keep it over the darker areas for 5-10 minutes.
- 5. Almond oil is the excellent skin food. Massage under and around the eyes with almond oil daily for 2 weeks.
- 6. Apply moisturizers with natural ingredients such as avocado oil, sesame, vitamin K and Vitamin E.
- 7. Eat food rich in vitamins and iron. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- 8. Use sunglasses while out in the sun to protect your eyes from the harmful rays.